Sunday, November 27, 2011

"Merry" Christmas?

I used to cling so thoroughly to the words encouraging people to "cry with those who cry" ... I felt like I'd been run over with a garden tiller, so I wanted my team of mourners at my beck and call. Okay, probably not literally, but I certainly did not want to feel alone in my sadness.

Thankfully, my eyes have been opened to the second part of that scripture. We are also encouraged to "laugh with those who laugh" ... There are no double standards with God, huh?

I guess the question becomes, how is it fair for us to condemn those who are merry although we hurt, but we do not feel inspired to share others' happiness because we are in pain? Are there not two sides to every coin?

I think it requires a bit of selflessness to experience with others one side of the coin when you live on the other side. Since I'm full of thoughts right now, I'll share another. I also think we as hurting parents experience a sense of entitlement because of the enormity of our loss. Our loss is so huge that we expect to be excused from others' merry-making.  I'm not so sure that God excuses us though. We're still His ambassadors of Light and shine we must! I encourage you to, bit by bit, fight against the desire to hibernate during a joyous time of year.

After all, the JOY of the Lord is our strength (Neh. 8:10)!

No comments: